Travel restrictions have not only changed Dillian Whyte’s date for his rematch against Alexander Povetkin, but also the location.
During today’s Matchroom Boxing card from London, promoter Eddie Hearn announced that the Povetkin vs. Whyte 2 rematch will now take place on March 27. In addition, the fight moved from London to Gibraltar, giving the card a new location to match the new date. The fight will be streamed on DAZN in most countries while it is airing on Sky Sports Box Office in the United Kingdom.
“In the current environment we are always having to think on our feet,” Hearn said. “We did everything to try and make March 6 happen, but with the new travel restrictions it was impossible. Now we have something outside the box, compelling, and a unique setting for one of the Heavyweight Fights of the Year – roll on the Rumble on the Rock!”
The fight is a rematch of their August 2020 bout when Povetkin knocked out Whyte to capture an interim WBC heavyweight title. That knockout dashed Whyte’s hopes of getting a heavyweight title opportunity anytime soon. Whyte opted for an immediate rematch set for last November. However, the fight was called off after Povetkin tested positive for COVID-19.
Whyte is training in Portugal, but logistical issues with getting him out of the country and in quarantine and being able to make it to the fight on March 6 among other things made Hearn make the decision to change the date.
Hearn also said the undercard for the original March 6 show has transferred over to the March 27 show. The card features junior middleweight Ted Cheeseman taking on James Metcalf for the vacant British title. Other fights previously announced include Fabio Wardley vs. Eric Molina, Chris Kongo vs. Michael McKinson and Youssef Khoumari vs. Kane Baker. Campbell Hatton, son of former world champion Ricky Hatton, will also be in action against an opponent to be named at a later date.